Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaBloPoMo?

National Blog Posting Month?
Ok, i'm gonna do this.
Every year my husband tries for the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).  I think it is awesome.  One year, I am going to write a novel too.
But it is not gonna happen when I still have small kids because in order to write a story you need to have a story line and a plot and conflict and well rounded characters, and a theme.  But I will be interrupted too often and I'm either too ADHD or not ADHD enough to hold together a story and a family at the same time.
But a blog entry a day, I think I can do that!!

Today is about choir.
What a wonderful thing to be able to sing!  Music was a big part of growing up Erickson.  It might not seem that way because we quit music lessons as often as we started them.  But, boy did we sing!  We sang with the banjo, the radio, the guitar, the cassette tapes, and the piano.  We sang in the car, doing dishes, folding laundry, and into the night when we were supposed to be going to sleep.  We sang to Kingston Trio, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Boston, Eric Clapton, and Weezer.  My dad never got the family band that he wanted, but we sang.
Singing is an instant pick me up.  It can also help us wallow in misery and loneliness, but there are some songs that you just can't sing without a smile! (Don't Worry, Be Happy; Fun, Fun, Fun; Popcorn Popping)
Tonight I got to attend Elizabeth's choir concert.  What a delight!  They sang a song based on a poem written by a child at the Terezin Concentration Camp in Czechoslovakia during World War II.  The song is called Birdsong by Paul Ryan.  There were a couple of other numbers as well, but this one was so uplifting and full of hope and beauty.
Just like Elizabeth.
While she is still so young, she is getting older everyday and she sees the world ahead full of hope and beauty.
And singing.


No comments:

Post a Comment