Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Thyroid Cancer

On July 16th I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer.
It was a complete surprise.  Physically I feel fine.  As fine as a mother of 5 typically feels--completely exhausted and scatterbrained.  But at my physical, the doctor found a lump in my neck.
Two ultrasounds and a very long and tiny needle later, and I have Papillary Cancer and my thyroid will have to be removed.
I wanted to 'announce' my diagnosis to my friends on line in a light-hearted way, and in a way that I wouldn't have to keep answering the same questions over and over again.  So I made a video and posted it on facebook.  I'll post it here too.


Or you can watch it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDDD15rRvl8&feature=plcp

I am in denial and terrified all at the same time.  But I am also very blessed because I am surrounded by family, supportive friends and good doctors, and this cancer is not aggressive and it is easily treated.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry during your little video presentation. So I did both. Let me know if you miss your thyroid when it's gone. If it takes all the cancer with it, let's just decide not to miss it.
    Sure love you, take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete