Sunday, June 24, 2012

Summer Vacation--Week 1

I don't know what to say.
I am ready for them to go back for just a couple of days.

I was really looking forward to summer vacation.  I love having them home.  Actually, I think the part I like the most is the part where I don't have to have breakfast and lunch ready for each of the kids before 8:00 in the morning.  People say, "Oh, my kids make their own lunches."  And mine do too.  Really, they do. But I have to make sure they have something available to put in their lunches.  And make sure that there is a fruit or vegetable in there somewhere.  Even if I am not physically making it I get questions like, "Mom, are there more goldfish?"  "Mom, I don't like that applesauce."  and the famous, "What can I have for dessert?"
I hated when I was younger and the only thing we had for dessert was cinnamon graham crackers.  Usually Mom had something really yummy for us, but occasionally, the only thing she had to offer that day would be cinnamon graham crackers and they are a sorry excuse for a treat to help a child endure a long day of school.  So I try really hard to have something fun for each of their lunches.  But it can be stressful if I didn't make anything the night before.  I know, I could plan ahead,  blah, blah, blah--go read someone else's blog smarty pants.
Anyway.
So summer is here. One week down.
I didn't have to make anyone lunch in the morning all week long.  That was good.

But they were asking for food ALL DAY LONG!!
Gotta work out a system for that.

One of my goals for this summer it to get the girls exercising more and to increase their endurance.
So, we are going walking in the morning!  My goal is to get them in shape enough that in September we can walk around Burke Lake (about 4.7 miles) without weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.
But so far we have been walking a loop in my neighborhood that is about .73 miles and there has been plenty of weeping and wailing and fits of exasperation.

Another goal for the summer is to get Sarah and Rachael to read longer books-that aren't comic books-and that are at or above their reading level.  If for no other reason than to help them realize that a book that cannot be finished in one sitting may still be a good book.  I also want to help Maire move to beginner chapter books, and get Elizabeth to read the Anne of Green Gables series.  (BTW, I asked my Mia Maid class today if any of them had read or seen Anne of Green Gable and they all said, "No."  *gasp*  I was shocked!).  Everyone also needs math facts drills.
But that didn't happen this week because our water heater was giving us problems, then it decided to start leaking and needed to be replaced and I heard horror stories about water flooding the basement...so we didn't use hot water for 2 1/2 days and dishes and laundry piled up.
And everyone kept asking me questions.
And asking for food.
And sulking about how summer vacation is supposed to be fun and no one should be punished for not doing their chores during summer
And, Can I have another Popsicle?
And, When are we going to the pool?
And, Can we go to Disneyland this summer?

AAAAAACK!
It's a good thing Netflix has Blues Clues and Dora for the baby,
Phineas and Ferb for the rest of us.

1 comment:

  1. not seen Anne of Green Gables? well, at least you have activities planned for awhile if you do a marathon.

    ReplyDelete